Version 4.8 is scheduled for release on Sunday, September 13th. This version is currently frozen /in development.
- 1 New features
- 2 Changes
The following features first appeared in version 4.8.
The cURL-JSON plugin queries JSON data using cURL and parses it using YAJL, similar to the cURL and memcachec plugins. This can be used to query CouchDB instances. The plugin has been written by Doug MacEachern.
The olsrd plugin queries information about meshed networks from the Optimized Link State Routing daemon (olsrd).
DERIVE data source type
In order to handle counter resets more gracefully,
ABSOLUTE data sources have been added in addition to the already existing data source types. The initial patch was written by Mariusz Gronczewski.
- See also: Paul's Git repository
Empty Counter match
This simple match can be used to match counters with a counter reading of zero. The intention is to be able to discard inactive counters.
Meta data has been added to the
value_list_t structure in src/plugin.h and the
cache_entry_t structure in src/utils_cache.c. This allows to attach meta data to a specific value list as it is passed around the daemon as well as attaching data to the identifier using the global cache.
Ondrej Zajicek writes:
- “I am developing a Collectd plugin for Madwifi (a driver for Atheros wifi cards). Madwifi driver allows to run wireless cards in AP mode and have several private ioctls to acquire statistics about stations assciated to that AP, so standard wireless plugin is completely inadequate in that case.”
The plugin has been commited to the
master branch on August 11th.
A Java-based plugin to read values from the Java Management Extensions (JMX). JMX is a generic framework to provide and query various management information. The interface is used by Java processes to provide internal statistics as well as by the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) to provide information about the memory used, threads and so on. The configuration is demonstrated in the contrib/GenericJMX.conf file. Written by octo, tested (also) by Matthew Sporleder.
RRDtool plugin: Random timeouts
Adding random delays when writing values to RRD files helps to avoid sudden load peaks which appear when all data times out at the same time. Written and tested by Mariusz Gronczewski.
Plugin to send data via HTTP POST requests to a web-server / CGI-script. Written by Paul Sadauskas.
This new plugin queries ZFS' Adaptive Replacement Cache (ARC). The patch was provided by Anthony Dewhurst (Dagger in IRC) on August 1st. It was merged to master on August 30th.
Released on Sunday, September 13, 2009.
- collectd: Two new data source types, “DERIVE” and “ABSOLUTE”, have been added. “DERIVE” can be used for counters that are reset occasionally. Thanks to Mariusz Gronczewski for implementing this.
- thresholds: The advanced threshold options “Percentage”, “Hits”, and “Hysteresis” have been added. Thanks to Andrés J. Díaz for hit patches.
- cURL-JSON plugin: The new cURL-JSON plugin reads JSON files using the cURL library and parses the contents according to user specification. Among other things, this allows to read statistics from a CouchDB instance. Thanks to Doug MacEachern for the patch.
- DF plugin: Using the new “ReportByDevice” option the device rather than the mount point can be used to identify partitions. Thanks to Paul Sadauskas for the patch.
- DNS plugin: The possibility to ignore numeric QTypes has been added. Thanks to Mirko Buffoni for the patch.
- GenericJMX plugin: The new, Java-based GenericJMX plugin allows to query arbitrary data from a Java process using the “Java Management Extensions” (JMX).
- MadWifi plugin: The new MadWifi plugin collects information about Atheros wireless LAN chipsets from the MadWifi driver. Thanks to Ondrej Zajicek for his patches.
- Network plugin: The receive- and send-buffer-sizes have been made configurable, allowing for bigger and smaller packets. Thanks to Aman Gupta for the patch.
- olsrs plugin: The new OLSR plugin queries routing information from the “Optimized Link State Routing” daemon.
- RRDtool plugin: A new configuration option allows to define a random write delay when writing RRD files. This spreads the load created by writing RRD files more evenly. Thanks to Mariusz Gronczewski for the patch.
- Swap plugin: The possibility to collect swapped in/out pages has been added to the Swap plugin. Thanks to Stefan Völkel for the patch.
- TokyoTyrant plugin: The new TokyoTyrant plugin reads the number of records and file size from a running Tokyo Tyrant server. Thanks to Paul Sadauskas for the patch.
- Write HTTP plugin: The new Write HTTP plugin sends the values collected by collectd to a web-server using HTTP POST requests. Thanks to Paul Sadauskas for the patch.
- ZFS ARC plugin: The new ZFS ARC plugin collects information about the “Adaptive Replacement Cache” (ARC) of the “Zeta File-System” (ZFS). Thanks to Anthony Dewhurst for the patch.
- empty_counter match: The new Empty Counter match matches value lists, where at least one data source is of type COUNTER and the counter value of all counter data sources is zero.